What is Facility Management?
Facility Management is the work done in multiple disciplines ensuring comfort, efficiency, functionality, and safety of the building and its environment through people, process, and technology.
Many organisations have their own facility management department, but it increases the overall expenses and so they look for an alternative i.e. to hire a facility services provider;these maintenance management services providers greatly help not only in maintaining the building’s assets but also reduces the cost and time.
Also, where other advances are made with time, the facility services industry has also evolved and the advancements have impacted on building life cycle also. In this article, we will discuss the impacts and positive changes that have on infrasturce’s life.
Facility Management Technology Advancements:
Following are the advancements in technology for facility services industry;
- Internet of things (IoT) sensors are the network of devices that help build work smartly. And to have sensors around the building can help to better optimize the workspaces. It can monitor the spaces that are being used at what time and how often.
- AR (Augmented Reality) and VR (Virtual Reality) gives an edge to accomplish the responsibilities by managing operations effectively and by automation of the repair processes.
- Advanced HVAC technology, as these systems are responsible for 40% of the total use of energy for the building. Keeping the system up and running efficiently is important to keep in check. And as the technology keeps upgrading, so does the efficiency of the system.
- Smart building technology, with smart technologies you can provide a healthier and productive environment. With advanced climatic and light controls not only improves the lighting and air quality of the surroundings but it also save the operational cost.
Impact of technology on building lifecycle
Facility management is not only associated with general building management of day to day operations but it also includes long term planning and focus on its users. They should be considered essential in the preparatory phase of the investment process. Major operation costs of facility maintenance and management processes are estimated already at the project of building.
An organization considers the life cycle of the workplace to ensure the performance of the people as the environment greatly impacts the workforce where they operate. To have sustainable facilities are crucial to the success and health of the workers. And it has been a core competency for decades proving the positive influence to the organization. By bringing facility management, far more tools can be added to sustain the life cycle of the facility and to make it a more livable work environment. Tools that can be added are efficient operations and timely maintenance, prolonging system life cycle. Adding to these, below are the impactful ways to ensure building lifecycle through facility management;
The impact of facility management can be in terms of cost also. It is one of the ways to create value for the organization by reducing the cost and to do that there are a lot of ways to look for.
- By having good HVAC, the prevalence of Sick Building Syndrome can be reduced which makes the environment healthier for the employees.
- In the time of COVID-19, facility disinfectant and upkeep helps to maintain the employees well being and reduces the lost time in transition.
- Keeping the facility maintenance proactively prevents unexpected repair costs and serves to reduce the long-term cost of facilities.
- Good facility maintenance reduces the prevalence of hazards which possibly cause employee safety issues and create medical expenses.
The benefit of effective facility maintenance may be extrapolated into cost-cutting and even revenue-generating opportunities. The facility taps every part of operations which helps to keep up with cost savings. And all good facility maintenance equals better productivity and cost-effectiveness.
A proactive approach creates success
With an effective and proactive approach, facility maintenance leads to success as it is an important aspect of business operation, the challenges are efficiency and complexity, and by facing these challenges quickly or even before they happen not only save time but also the cost for the organisations.
Issue addressed beforehand
Facility management software prevents the issue from going out of hands, as it identifies the issue beforehand and gives you the time and knowledge required to fix the problem. With facility management services it helps greatly to know what and where is lacking.
The impact of facility management and its technology have positive effects on a building’s life cycle. It not only gives a healthier environment but also protects from the damage by addressing the issue beforehand. Many facility management technology advancements makes the task easier and quicker for facility maintenance service providers.
Also we can not disagree with the fact that outsourcing facility management services is of great help in many ways, like it’s cost-effective, time-effective, and you do not have to run after the manpower or take care of the equipment. And Swift Facility Management Services, provides all the facility maintenance services under one roof.